Re: Spring 1999 NOC contact drill

  • From: I Am Not An Isp
  • Date: Thu Apr 15 17:57:08 1999

At 04:24 PM 4/15/99 -0400, David Lesher wrote:

>What, if any, representation does the TCP/IP-using community
>have in the underground utilities community?
>
>I submitted the URL of an underground utility locating magazine
>and know that there is a quasi-consortium -- the "Before you dig"
>center, the locators that respond (often contract) and the owners
>of the glass/copper/steel/concrete in the ground. Perhaps someone
>should work on getting us on their radar...?

How does one become a member of the Call Before You Dig consortium?  A
quick web search found http://www.uncc.org/, but I'm not sure that's the
right thing, plus it doesn't tell me how to become a member.  (Okay, I only
looked at it a few minutes, so maybe it's in there, but it is not obvious.)

Anyway, maybe something like the ISP/C should join the Utility Notification
Center of Colorado (the URL I found)?  Does the UNCC have an e-mail
notification of big digs or something that could be posted to NANOG, or
prolly better have individual members subscribe to the list so we're
forewarned of potential outages?  Something like that.

I dunno if these are all good ideas, but I do think we can be a bit more
proactive than we are today.

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp - www.ianai.net
ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle
(No, I still don't have enable.)