Re: Major fiber cut in Tyson's Corner area

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Apr 14 00:15:08 1999

[email protected] (Paul Ferguson) writes:
>I just heard on the local news that 3 fiber optic cables, as well as
>one large copper bundle was cut in the Tyson's Corner area (Northern
>Virginia). No idea what impact it may have on net traffic, although one
>fiber strand was reported as belonging to MCI.
>
>For those who may not know, MAE-East is in the Tysons Corner vicinity.

Things that make you go Hmmm!

Yesterday I received a very strange phone call from a person claiming
to be with MCI/Worldcom wanting to talk to me about verifying Y2K readiness
of our equipment at MAE-East.  He wanted to verify the address, and wanted
to send a tech over to check serial numbers of equipment.

Our MCI/Worldcom sales rep says he knows nothing about MCI/Worldcom doing
this, nor why MCI/Worldcom wouldn't already know the address of their own
building.   I wonder if he just was fishing, to find out where to send
the backhoe :-)