Re: route announcement question (political rather than technical)

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Wed Mar 24 13:13:28 1999

Randy.

You are not 100% right. Often the XX's customer is forced to use another
ISP for internet access (for example, customer change location and could
not order digital trunk from the new one), but can't renumbered quickly.
And so on...

You can anounce specifics of the other ISP, and it allow this customer to
work for some time and be successed. Through, some cases (if you lost
external connectivity, for example, but you have peering connectivity
with XX, for example) cause you to use bandwidth of XX, or XX can be
acused in waisting routing-table-space, or the prefix-length limitations
(by such ISP as Sprint) cause some mirrouting, etc etc... THis means we
always treat such decisions as _temporary_ and always ask permission fro
the net-block owner to do it; and vice versa.

Alex.
----

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Randy Bush wrote:

> Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 09:46:29 -0800 (PST)
> From: Randy Bush <[email protected]>
> To: Jeremiah Kristal <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: route announcement question (political rather than technical)
>

> > do you require  any documentation from their  other provider that they are
> > allowed to re-announce those addresses?  The issue isn't whether we should
> > re-announce, but what documentation we should require before doing so.
>
> uh, we're kinda on a first name basis with our peers at the other tier ones.
> formality is usually not needed.
>
> when one of their less clued/connected departments gets involved, we usually
> count on the clueful to handle their own organization's internal issues.
>
> most folk really do understand how the game is played.  probably verio
> stresses it more than most, due to much address space still swipped into the
> name of the isps we acquired and there is major administrivia (legal sale
> documents and all) to update it.  but most of our friends know that too.
> occasionally we hit an peer's admin person who's been kept in a dark room
> for some years.  again we could on the clueful to pass it on.
>
> randy

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 230-41-41, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)