Re: more Internic nightmare

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Tue Mar 23 21:02:57 1999

On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 04:59:45PM -0800, Derek Balling wrote:
> Unless you're planning on enforcing passwords for contacts then I don't
> think it'd take all that much to SIMULATE a client, choosing random people
> from the whois database, and blaming other people for your whois queries.
> An even more intelligent system would use the tech contact for the LAST
> result as the requestor for the current one so that there would be no
> visible pattern.
>
> The source code for the client is going to be out there, so people will
> figure out how it works, reverse engineer a version that uses a forged,
> but existing, tech contact, and go on with their day.

Can we say "PGP"?  C'mon, folks; the engineering solutions to these
problems are _trivial_.  What is _not_ trivial is working the political
process to bring pressure to bear on Netsol to make them _possible_.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.