Re: InterNIC - We put the "I" in incompetent.

  • From: I Am Not An Isp
  • Date: Sun Mar 14 14:18:10 1999

At 09:59 AM 3/14/99 -0800, Michael Dillon wrote:
>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, John Fraizer wrote:
>
>>    NS1.ENTERZONE.NET            209.41.244.5
>>    NS2.ENTERZONE.NET            209.41.244.6
>
>Hmm... same subnet...

Michael, you should know better than that.  I do not see a subnet mask on
these IP addresses.  There is nothing stopping a Network Operator from
making these /32s and putting them on different networks.

Of course, a traceroute confirms that they are at least going through the
same router on the last hop, so they are likely on the same subnet.  But
your assumption was still a bit premature.

That said, I completely agree that using something like the ISPC is a good
idea.  You get secondaries all over the country on different ASes, not just
different subnets in your own AS.

>Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: [email protected]

TTFN,
patrick

I Am Not An Isp - www.ianai.net
ISPF, The Forum for ISPs by ISPs, <http://www.ispf.com>
"Think of it as evolution in action." - Niven & Pournelle