Re: Secondary DNS for Paraguay's TLD?

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Mon Mar 08 08:32:30 1999

On Mon, Mar 08, 1999 at 11:51:50AM +0000, Alex Bligh wrote:
> > IMHO, the internic should not allow any domains to have pri+sec nameserver
> > in the same /24
>
> Why not? I know several people who stick them all in /30s as they
> are so difficult to move. All bar one (which is in a different
> originated AS) of ours are in the same /24 (different /30s, and
> different continents in some cases).

	Most "real" providers have diverse nameservers.  For them,
this is not a problem, but for the other 99% of domains
that are delegated, they have their nameservers on the same
ethernet segment.

   Domain Name: MONICALEWINSKI.COM

   Domain servers in listed order:

   ZORK.TIAC.NET                199.0.65.2
   SUNDOG.TIAC.NET              199.0.65.9

	This means once your /24 drops from routing,
you have no primary nor secondary nameservice.

	This is meant only as an example, but to make my point.  Because
the delegation authorities can do an easy check to see if the ips
are in the same /24, this could prevent a number of real outages, such
as a TLD being OOS, but also help fix all the little guys who don't
understand the idea of geographicaly diverse nameservers.

	- jared