Re: Digital Bill of Rights? (Re: Monitoring, Flow Stats)

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Wed Feb 03 16:15:15 1999

Apologies to anyone who got the first copy of this.  I don't know
how the extra n got added when I hit reply.

... while talking to mail.merit.edu.:
>>> RCPT To:<[email protected]>
<<< 550 <[email protected]>... User unknown
550 <[email protected]>... User unknown

Reposted due to error:

> On Wed, Feb 03, 1999 at 01:35:44PM -0500, Bob Allisat wrote:
> > Christopher Neill <[email protected]> writes:
> > :
> > : <http://www.qual.net/support/aup.html>
> > :
> > : Our customer, let's call them "X", agrees to our policy. Our
> > : policy  clearly states that their connection is at will, and
> > : can be terminated or restricted at any time by us.
> > :
> > : So there you have it, CYA.
> >
> >  If every ISP has the same AUP then every citizen
> >  is forced under duress by a cartel of interests
> >  into violating their own human rights, freedom
> >  of expression and civil liberties. So fuck your
> >  Acceptable Policies! What we need is a Digital
> >  Bill of Rights <http://fcn.net> to over-ride
> >  these sinister commercial carte blanche policies
> >  and protect us from bastards like Mr. Neill.
>
> >From the "Digital Bill of Rights":
>      The right to uncensored, free, and uncontrolled communications to and from unmoderated, public areas.
>
> Define "public", please.

Actually, even with the existing AUPs, that's still possible.  Any two
parties who wish to exchange anything may do so by establishing
a tunnel.  The AUPs are simply there to protect customers and ISPs
from theft of services and theft of property among other harms.
Spammers are thieves.  They steal time and bandwidth on my network
at my expense without my permission and against my express wishes.
They don't compensate me and I don't want them on my network.  Everyone
who does compensate me has agreed that they don't want their stuff, too.
As such, I don't see anyone's civil rights being violated, except
mine.

Owen

----- End Included Message -----