Re: Busy Connect

  • From: Jay R. Ashworth
  • Date: Sun Jan 31 00:13:35 1999

On Thu, Jan 28, 1999 at 10:38:44AM -0800, John Leong wrote:
> > "No answer", to me, as an ISP customer would mean
> > that there is a broken modem somewhere that is not answering the
> phone.
> > Definitely different than "Busy."
>
> The modem return code, unfortunately is often not precise.

You can say _that_ again.

this is rapidly veering off topic, so replies privately, please, but
does _anyone_ know why 15 years after Bell standardized on different
SIT tone sequences for differen error conditions, modems _still_ can't
report the proper error?

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                [email protected]
Member of the Technical Staff     Buy copies of The New Hackers Dictionary.