Re: Busy Connect

  • From: Cyril Jaouich
  • Date: Wed Jan 27 20:32:46 1999

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, William Allen Simpson wrote:

> I don't know how many other small/dialup ISPs are seeing this problem.
> BellSouth just turned it on in our area.  Sent our support calls through
> the ceiling during busy evening hours.
>
> >Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:39:31 -0600
> >Subject: Please Help Us
> >From: "Howard Shere" <[email protected]>
> >
> >BellSouth recently added a feature to your phone service called "Busy
> >Connect". This service plays a recording whenever you dial and get a busy
> >signal offering to keep trying the number for 75 cents. This service will
> >interfere with your modems ability to detect a busy signal and your computer
> >will report that "the computer you are dialing is not answering" or some
> >similar message.
> >
> >2 weeks ago BellSouth told us that this service was on our lines and we
> >asked that it be removed. They told us that this would solve the "no answer"
> >problems that our customers were reporting. We have continued to get
> >complaints from customers about "no answer" problems and when we talked to
> >BellSouth today, we were told that this service was on our customers lines
> >and not on ours. We are not sure why we were given the wrong information
> >when we first reported this trouble.
> >
> >We are asking that all of our customers call BellSouth and ask to have this
> >service removed. They have refused to help us directly and have said that
> >the only way to have this service removed is for our customers to call them
> >directly.

	We've had the same up here in Canada for a while now, very
annoying for customers. Anyhow, if you do *02 (Bell here uses DMS), it
disables it forever (we'll until you do *02 again). We've actually put
that message on our TechSupport quick tips music when you call in to
report a problem... Why does technology have to be so annoying sometimes
:)

	Later

Cyril Jaouich [CJ837]
ACC NETWORK OPERATIONS EASTERN CANADA/US
Only 8117 hours before Y2K, will you be compliant?