Re: aads renumbering rumor and implications

  • From: Kevin Oberman
  • Date: Mon Jan 25 13:04:24 1999

> Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:55:56 -0500
> From: Richard Irving <[email protected]>
> Sender: [email protected]
>
> Unless someone knows differently, the renumbering at AADS been called
> off.
> (Enough people signed up to pay for the space, independent of AADS
> operations)
>
>   At least, this is true according to Bill Manning.
>
>   (As if *he* knows anything ;)

No. Bill only said that he had agreements to fund support of the
existing numbers from enough people at AADS that he would not turn off
name service on 1/15. The message from Kevin Peterson at AADS came
out significantly after this transpired and the NANOG BOF on AADS
renumbering is still very much on the agenda.

I imagine that the renumbering to some Ameritech owned address space
will take place within the next month. and that it will continue to
be a single prefix and not a mass of /30s. The message from Kevin
(Peterson, not me) stated that the last octet would remain the same as
it is now, so it would simply be a matter of adding a single secondary
address to each router interface and a new set of addresses to the ATM
address map. (This assumes Cisco routers. I have no experience with
others.)

Until I hear otherwise from AADS, I assume the renumbering is on. We
should all know more about a week from tonight after the BOF in
Denver.

It does seem odd that several organizations that should have heard
about this direct from AADS seem unaware. Maybe it just has not
trickled up to Randy from whoever receives these things from AADS at
Verio.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E-mail: [email protected]			Phone: +1 510 486-8634