Re: Incompetance abounds at the InterNIC

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Thu Jan 21 00:39:33 1999

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 04:55:57PM -0600, Phil Howard wrote:

> > As thhis whole thread of discussion really centers around private use of
> > internetworking technology, I have to wonder how it affects operational
> > issues (which just happens to be the subject of the mailing list).
>
> I think it got started with domain names without name servers that
> speculators were registering, and I mentioned the analogy of private
> address usage, which then resulted in a confusion between private
> "internal" addresses and private "external" addresses.

I think a lot of good points have been put forth by you, Phil, as well as
by Dean.

The problem is that I'm not sure NetSol cares.

I've seen a lot of registrations for *legitimate* companies -- backbone
providers at that -- with obviously bogus phone numbers like (123) 555-1212
and obviously bogus addresses. What is NSI willing to do about it? Nothing.

Of course, the agreement you sign with them says they will revoke domains
with bogus contact info. Yeah. Right.

(cc'd to Mr. Gomes at the InterNIC because I really want to hear why they
refuse to uphold their end of their contract)

--
Steve Sobol [email protected] (AKA [email protected] and [email protected])

"How you gonna win, when you ain't right within?"
   --Laurynn Hill - "Doo-Wop (That Thing)"