Re: Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Thu Jan 14 18:36:13 1999

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Joe  Shaw wrote:

> My only question is do any of you who've been under attack report these
> incidents to the FBI and the other appropriate agencies?

We report these incidents to the FBI when there is at least a slim chance
that the perpetrator might be caught.  We get a lot of very short lived
attacks (30 minutes or less) that just don't seem to be worth our time to
report to the FBI, since there's usually no data that would give them a
bit of a clue about who might have done it.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.