Re: latency vs. packet loss

  • From: Jon Zeeff
  • Date: Thu Jan 14 09:22:17 1999

True, one can certainly think of and even find many situations where
they don't correlate, but in real world measurements, it looks like in
perhaps 90% of the cases, packet loss between randomly choosen places
on the Internet is accompanied by greater than typical latency.  I suppose
this suggests that saturated links (where the router/switch adds latency by
buffering) are a commmon cause of Internet packet loss (vs line
errors, etc which would not show this correlation).

As a single example, connectivity from here to a popular NSP web site
is 40 msec in the morning with no packet loss and 500 msec with
20% packet loss in the afternoon.  Routing is the same (through mae-east :-)).