Re: Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

  • From: danderson
  • Date: Tue Jan 12 17:21:42 1999

I should have been more careful when stating 'filtering icmp' in my

>access-list 101 deny icmp any any echo
>access-list 101 deny icmp any any echo-reply
>access-list 101 permit icmp any any

Only I'm allowing the echo-reply so I can ping/traceroute out for my
troubleshooting needs. However, I don't buy the 'it breaks testing methods'
because there are other ways to test that using icmp for incoming stuff.
Plus, if you use named access lists (in new code releases), you can throw
in a permit statement then delete it without taking out the whole list.
(That is done with the 'ip access-list extended <name>' subset- very nice,
check it out) Of course this doesn't do anything for your upstream links,
but what can you do about that anyway? Get on your tier 1 provider for
that!

Plus, you STILL have directed broadcasts turned off in my scenario so the
access list is almost futile.

And if you are worried about excess CPU utilization, so what? Look into
stuff like the netflow switching commands rather than the optimal setting.
That can make a tremendous difference. Or you can always buy better gear!
How important is your service??

later-

devin

"Craig A. Huegen" <[email protected]> on 01/12/99 02:01:04 PM