Re: Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

  • From: Steve Gibbard
  • Date: Tue Jan 12 11:06:40 1999

Speaking as an ISP with lots of small business customers who don't know
what a smurf attack is, much less why they should want to prevent them,
I've found that the easiest solution to this in dealing with customers
whose routers we don't manage is to stick in a filter on our router
upstream from them, blocking any smurfable broadcast addresses.  Most of
our customers have just one or two subnets, so that's pretty easy, but it
wouldn't scale all that well to customers with larger, more complex
networks, especially if they're changing their network configuration
somewhat frequently.  In that case, though, there's usually somebody there
who I can at least attempt to explain why open broadcast addresses are a
problem to.

-Steve

--
Steve Gibbard