Re: Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

  • From: Brandon Ross
  • Date: Tue Jan 12 02:23:26 1999

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Daniel Senie wrote:

> The proper answer to this is to disable directed broadcasts on the
> routers themselves. It'd be helpful if routers came out of the box with
> this feature disabled by default. Perhaps folks should talk with their
> router vendors of choice and ask for this change. I have submitted a
> draft into the IETF process to require this change, updating RFC 1812
> (router requirements).

I'm happy to say that progress is being made in this area.  When a vendor
comes to us for the first time, one of things I tell them is that we will
not buy their hardware until they ship with directed broadcast disabled by
default.  We've had a lot of success in this area, we'd have even more if
others would do the same.

Brandon Ross            Network Engineering     404-815-0770 800-719-4664
Director, Network Engineering, MindSpring Ent., Inc.  [email protected]
                                                            ICQ:  2269442

Stop Smurf attacks!  Configure your router interfaces to block directed
broadcasts. See http://www.quadrunner.com/~chuegen/smurf.cgi for details.