Re: Fwd: Mailing List (1999)

  • From: Dean Anderson
  • Date: Mon Jan 11 05:10:39 1999

Not to jump too hard, but a whole lot of people agreed that spam was not
usually a topic of interest on NANOG.  So if you won't post spam to Nanog,
I won't point out how flawed the anti-spam methods are, nor will I be
tempted to explain why anti-spam methods eventually backfire on network
operators.

		--Dean

At 10:28 PM 1/10/1999 -0500, Alan Spicer wrote:
>Has anyone else received email similar to this? I haven't got the headers
>yet because this was forwarded to me by management. megasuccess.net isn't
>listed in InterNIC but there are similar domain names. I don't want to
>contact or complain about the wrong organization or people. Replies to
>me only by email, unless this is some massive UCE campaign, please.
>
>Maybe they have already been shutdown by their provider?
>

>>>From: [email protected]
>>>Date: 1/9/99 5:27:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time
>>>To: [email protected]
>>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Please forgive the intrusion.
>>>
>>>Your email address is on a  list that we purchased.
>>>
>>>Realizing that these lists are often compiled without your knowledge this
>>is our attempt to clean this list before we begin mailing. It is not an
>>attempt to verify that your email address is valid. We use an automated
>>mail system that deletes undeliverable email (invalid addresses).
>>>Since you are reading this email we already know your address is valid.
>>>
>>>If you DO NOT want to receive mail reply with "REMOVE" in the subject
line.
>>>Please make sure remove is in subject line or mail software will delete
>>your reply.
>>>Mail is not read so yelling, screaming or sending threats will not get you
>>on remove list.
>>>Only the word  "REMOVE"  will work.
>>>
>>>You will be placed on our remove list and not receive any email from us
>>again.
>>>
>>>We DO NOT want anybody on our list to receive email that does not want to
>>be there.
>>>
>>>If you are one of the small group of people who believe that you have the
>>right to decide what email everyone on the internet should receive, and are
>>going to email every organization you can find to request that you not
>>receive any more email from us, then please remember to include us in your
>>mailing with "REMOVE" in the subject. Otherwise you will have wasted a lot
>>of people's time and still receive email from us.
>>>
>>>Thank you all for understanding.
>>>
>>>Sincerely,
>>>
>>>Bob Beaudoin
>>>Webmaster MegaSuccess

>>>This Message was Composed by a user of Automated E- Mail Software. If
>>>you wish to be removed from this advertiser's future mailings, please
reply
>>>with the subject "Remove" and this software will automatically block you
>>>from their future mailings.
>>>
>>Ebiznet...when results are more important than pretty web pages!

>| Alan Spicer ([email protected])  NIC:AGS14      |
>| www.ebiznet.com | www.websgreatesthits.com     |
>|          www.trafficdirector.com               |
>|             (OTC BB: BIZN).                    |

           Plain Aviation, Inc                  [email protected]
           LAN/WAN/UNIX/NT/TCPIP          http://www.av8.com