Re: IGP Comparison (Summary of Responses)

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Wed Jan 06 07:08:42 1999

Btw, I doubt anyone pay attention to the IS-IS and OSPF feature
differences when choose IGP protocol, usially this protocols are treated
as _EQUAL - IS-IS is more complex to configure, and that's the only real
difference for real life_, but pay attention to the vendors (CISCO
realised IS-IS later and this realisation was better than OSPF's, IS-IS
is not common-vendor protocol, IS-IS allow you to use OSPF for the
customer's routing and readvertise OSPF into IS-IS, and so on...

On 5 Jan 1999, Tony Li wrote:

> Date: 05 Jan 1999 23:03:50 +0000
> From: Tony Li <[email protected]>
> To: Henk Smit <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: IGP Comparison (Summary of Responses)
>

> [email protected] (Henk Smit) writes:
>
> > > "There were also non-technical considerations.  Many people felt that it was
> > > better that the IETF have complete control over the OSPF protocol design
> > > rather than depend on an ISO committee whose goals, namely to produce a
> > > routing protocol for the OSI protocol stack, were somewhat different."(2)
> >
> >   This is all history, and should not be a reason for you to pick one
> >  protocol over the other. The IETF has become what OSI was (and even
> >  worse). Right now there are active OSPF *and* IS-IS workgroups. The IETF
> >  can extend IS-IS as much as is needed.
>

> We should also point out that the IETF is now an OSI liason organization
> and can make contributions to the ISO process.  Further, given the
> technical expertise of the folks working in the IETF, the effective death
> of CLNP, and the fact that a significant proportion of the systems running
> IS-IS are actually doing so to forward IP, any contributions made by the
> IETF will be taken very seriously by ISO.
>
> Regards,
> Tony Li
> IS-IS WG co-chair

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)