OUTAGE/WEATHER: severe winter weather and mci worldcom

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Jan 05 20:12:43 1999

A summary of few of the larger infrastructure issues in the last few days

January 3-4 (18+ hours)
	MCI Worldcom had water problems in a New York/New Jersey office (the
	reports haven't clearly identified the location) damaging some
	unspecified equipment.  At least two OC48s are out of service.
	See next issue.

January 1-3
	Severe winter weather across the midwest to the east coast.
	Sporadic power outages in multiple states affecting 450,000
	people.  39 deaths. One news station reported 7 counties in
	central Illinois lost telephone service.  Travel conditions
	have greatly increased repair response times in affected areas.

If last year is a guide, major problems won't surface until the weather
warms up a bit.  Flooding and heavy equipment use caused several post-winter
storm outages last winter.

I did read the other thread.  What the rough consensus was wasn't clear
to me, so I'm going ahead with this message.