Re: Cisco config checker

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Tue Jan 05 20:12:36 1999

Simpler idea - we hardly need config help based on UNIX system - for
boths educational and configuration purposes.

And, btw, I do not think their config syntax contain some great secrets
- it's an example of clue-less (may be I have used wrong word) language.
Sometimes you guess you'v got the point and can predict new command - and
when this command appear it's discovered you was wrong... -:)

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Tony Tauber wrote:

> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 10:48:02 -0500
> From: Tony Tauber <[email protected]>
> To: Randy Bush <[email protected]>, "Alex P. Rudnev" <[email protected]>
> Cc: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: Cisco config checker
>
> On Jan 4,  7:20am, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Subject: RE: Cisco config checker
> > for two+ years, i have been asking cisco for a simple text-based tool that
> > can take two configs and generate the command set to get from the first to
> > the second.  i.e. a semantic differ.
> >
> > as syntax (and occasionally semantics) changes release to release, a version
> > of the code would have to come with each image set.
> >

> Moreover, it'd be nice if Cisco would post concise rules of the
> CLI interpreter (ie. what commands work in what context(s))
> or even license it to third parties who want to write their
> own config checkers.  This would be a vast improvement to poring
> through gobs of tedious (and out of date) documentation to tease
> out what you want.
> Of course, publishing for the various builds would be necessary
> for such an approach to be worthwhile.
>
> They wouldn't even have to reveal the "hidden" commands. ;-)
>
> Tony

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)