Please be nice... (Was Re: Exodus?)

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Tue Jan 05 20:12:28 1999

Gentlemen,

In the last 6 weeks I have noticed a major drop off in nanog postings.  Im
not complaining as we all know how many posts we go a day.  Recently I
almost miss the number of posts :).   What I am a great deal concerned
about is that a request numerous times to "watch what you post" as well as
scoldings on the list have made people gunshy.

I for one would rather have someone concerned about an outage post it.  It
may just be the one network such as exodus or it may be related to a large
problem and concern several backbones.  I have found that the NANOG list
often has better and quicker information during an outage then many telcos.

Maybe the exodus post was or was not off topic.  But I'd rather see that
then a bunch of posts discussing whether or not it was on/off-topic.

As for on-topic maybe we could now start a few threads on backbone issues.
So with the holiday spirit I say just be just a "little" kind...

David

At 5:59 PM -0500 1/3/99, Chris Mauritz wrote:
>Personally, I think it's useful to report outages with any outfit that meets
>the nebulous moniker of "Tier 1" provider as it can have far reaching
>consequences.  While it's still important to contact the affected network's
>NOC, I don't see how it's out of line to post a short note about it here.
>I'd certainly value that a lot more than the Alistat circle jerkage and I
>suspect it wouldn't add a lot of traffic to the list.
>
>Chris
>
>Chris Mauritz
>Director, Systems Administration/Network Engineering
>Rare Medium, Inc.
>[email protected]

Thank you,
David Diaz
Chief Technical Officer
Netrail, Inc

email:   [email protected]
pager: 888-576-1018
office: 888-NETRAIL
Fax:    404 522-2191

Colo facilities: Atlanta-NAP, Miami, Arlington, Chicago, San Francisco