Re: poll: are any sizable exchange points using gigabit ether?

  • From: Austin Schutz
  • Date: Wed Dec 23 05:39:03 1998

>Problem with gigE is distance though...
>So ATM may be the answer for the short term.

	Long Haul GE is capable of the usual ~5-10 mile distances as anything
else running over singlemode fiber.
	In theory it could be run over sonet, though I don't believe hardware
exists to do that (yet?) or if it would be worthwhile. There appear to be
(http://www.positronfiber.com/pfs/nav/products/ether_set.htm) devices to run
fast ether over sonet. Anyone actually using something like this care to
comment?

	Austin