Re: ** Forged spamming going on

  • From: Rodney Joffe
  • Date: Tue Dec 22 17:02:32 1998

Dean Anderson wrote:
> I can't live with a powerful instrument like the RBL which is
> applied capriciously at Pauls apparent whim.  I think others agree with this.

H'mmmm

As far as I understand it, Paul created the RBL for himself, so he
didn't have to deal with all the crap that was sent to him. Then some of
us asked if we could use his list of sources of spam, so we could stop
the crap without having to duplicate his efforts (if we went through the
same effort, we wouldn't need to take his feed, now would we?). He
grudgingly agreed, as long as we acknowledged that this was precisely
what he was doing. Taking care of his mailbox, and grudgingly allowing
us to share his own personal data. At no charge. As a special favor.

Where do you end up talking about a tool to beat people over the head
being in the hands of someone who has wild mood swings.

All Paul is doing is making use of his right to make personal decisions.
The fact that a third of the Internet (or whatever the number) happens
to want to use Paul's data, provided as a favor, has nothing to do with
anyone else in the world getting involved in his process. It's his.

I doubt Paul asked you to use it. So don't.

Anyone else who has a problem should do the same.

The byproducts of his list are not a requirement of his. Merely a
byproduct. Cause and effect. A bonus. But definitely not a requirement.

/rlj