Re: InterNIC "whois server <handle>" broke?

  • From: Jeffrey Haas
  • Date: Sat Dec 19 00:03:06 1998

On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 06:19:18PM -0800, Michael P. Lyle wrote:
> I don't see why authentication is such a necessity-- why is it a secret
> what domains a given nameserver serves?  It would be easy enough to pull
> the information down by exhaustive search.

The whole issue isn't so much authentication but logging.
This way, the abusers can be isolated from the database.

How many spams from the Internic domain scrapers have YOU
gotten the last couple of weeks?

--
 Jeffrey Haas   "Denial of Spamming is not a crime."
[email protected]  -- Russell Nelson <[email protected]>