Re: InterNIC "whois server <handle>" broke?

  • From: Marc Slemko
  • Date: Fri Dec 18 15:01:34 1998

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Derek Balling wrote:

> But why not the following syntax: (and I admit, I've never used "whois
> server server-handle" before, but always the below syntax)
>
> [[email protected] dredd]$ whois conch-hst
> [rs.internic.net]
> [No name] (CONCH-HST)
>
>    Hostname: CONCH.AA.MSEN.COM
>    Address: 148.59.1.20
>    System: ASA Pentium running BSDI UNIX
> <snip>

[...]

> > : dns:~ $ whois server conch-hst
> > : No match for server "CONCH-HST".

[...]

You are missing the whole point of what he is trying to do.

Originally (well, a while back), "whois server foo-hst" would return a
list of up to 256 domains using that nameserver for their ns records.

Then it was changed so it only returned 100 or something on that order.

Now that this feature is gone, if you want to do this then you either have
to beg the InterNIC to send you a list (if it is your server) and wait
around hoping they will respond or beg them to give you ftp access to the
zone file then download the whole thing and grep it.