Re: System and Network Monitoring

  • From: Tim Salo
  • Date: Wed Dec 16 16:13:13 1998

> Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 16:48:06 -0800 (PST)
> From: Derek Balling <[email protected]>
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: System and Network Monitoring
>
> OK, I'm looking for "real world" data and not sales/marketing hype.
>
> I'm looking for a package to do network and system monitoring. It's a
> heterogenous environment consisting of all manner of routers, at least 700
> servers (Mostly FreeBSD, but also Solaris and Network Appliance boxen).
> 	[...]

I would be interested to hear about your comparison of a commercial
package such as HP OpenView with free alternatives.

My inclination is towards a commercial package.  I even suspect that it
would be less expensive in the long run, plus it seems likely to free
up your technical talent for revenue-producing activities.

-tjs