Re: Y2K Was: Re: POWER: San Mateo/San Francisco power outage report

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Wed Dec 09 12:11:52 1998

I just wanted to clarify something, I got a few email messages from people
who said I was one of the nuts who is saying the world would fall apart
Y2K, I think everything will work out. I do not recommend anyone fill
baggies full of dried food, buy a gun, or build a house underground. I
think we will get though this ok.

I was just trying to point out that some of the power systems in the US
are very fragile and that it does not take a lot to bring the system down.
My recommendation on having your generator ready is something all ISPs
should do no matter what year it is. I do think we will have power
outages, but the systems WILL come back online and thinks WILL get back to
normal. This is a operational issue and we need to make sure our systems
are protected.

><>
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net	 		[email protected]