Re: More Sidgemore on per-bit pricing

  • From: Nathan Stratton
  • Date: Wed Dec 09 11:10:59 1998

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 11:03:16PM -0500, Nathan Stratton wrote:
> > > Well what if I had a xDSL local loop from someone like Northpoint for
> > > something like $150 and then did the per bit model.  A T1 (or even slightly
> > > less) for $350 starts to look rather attractive to a lot of people.
> >
> > True, but if you become a CLEC and use something like access method 5 you
> > can get that loop cost to around $30 and also offer voice services using
> > the first 4 kHz of the loop.
>
> Yeah... but you _STILL_ can't get that large a router port for that
> little money, and you never will.
>
> Bandwidth is what costs money, not copper.

I was just saying how you could lower the cost of the ADSL loop from
around $150 to $30, with both you would need to supply the IP. The idea
would be that you would not just use the port for internet traffice. You
would provide voice services, you would provice VOD (video on demand), and
cable services (using something like I Magic TV).

><>
Nathan Stratton				Telecom & ISP Consulting
www.robotics.net	 		[email protected]