Excellent article on Internet Peering Issues (fwd)

  • From: Curt Howland
  • Date: Mon Dec 07 23:01:02 1998

Since the issue of charging for peering has come up
again, I thought the following article might be
interesting.

I do not agree with the government as benevolent
angel of mercy that the writer seems to, but that
doesn't fault either his data, nor the validity of
his conclusions based on that data.

To vastly over-summerize, he states that the ignorance
of charging for peering brings the arbitrary hammer
of government regulation closer sooner than would
otherwise likely happen.

I agree with his view that telecommunications is
rapidly merging, thus his idea that common-carrier
regulations will be applied to IP providers.

Curt-