Re: More Sidgemore on per-bit pricing

  • From: Barry Shein
  • Date: Sat Dec 05 15:41:38 1998

On December 5, 1998 at 14:01 [email protected] (Karl Denninger) wrote:
 > On Sat, Dec 05, 1998 at 02:38:57PM -0500, Barry Shein wrote:
 > >
 > > One possible positive effect (for the consumer) of "per-bit" pricing
 > > is the opportunity to buy larger pipes but only pay for what you use.
 >
 > The other possible effect is that you buy one of these, and then someone
 > launches a DOS attack at you and you get the bill for it.
 >
 > The economic impact of this should not be underestimated.  Per-bitrate
 > pricing is a problem as long as the receiver pays for the receipt of
 > transmissions they may not have solicited.

Well, a paraphrase of the above is: We must engineer the net to keep
the cost of criminal activities to a minimum so we can continue to
avoid solving the underlying issue.

That's not ridiculous, it may even be an unavoidable factor, but it's
still somewhat sad.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email protected]          | http://www.world.com
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*