Re: Effects of traffic shaping ICMP (&c.)

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Thu Dec 03 02:24:59 1998

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Pete Kruckenberg wrote:

I think what is being asked is not how to rate limit what goes thru the
router, but rather to affect rate limitations on the incoming stream.
TCP can be rate limited upstream by playing with TCP window size and ACKs
as some of the bandwidth manager products do (Packeteer, Xedia, Elron to
name just a few). Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to UDP or
ICMP flows coming your way other than rate limit them as they go thru your
box.  You will still be hit by Smurfs and their ilk and they will still
eat up your bandwidth.

-Hank