Re: identify hostname

  • From: Steven J. Sobol
  • Date: Wed Dec 02 00:06:08 1998

On Tue, Dec 01, 1998 at 09:32:45PM -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> Sure there are some cases that are hard or impossible to account for, but
> it would be helpful for ISP's to take a stance that "here's your address
> space. Unless you tell us otherwise, we assume its not subnetted, and we
> will block your broadcast addresse.  If you subnet or otherwise change your
> broadcast address, you will need to notify us"

I think this might be a workable solution. But I work for an ISP that has a
bunch of statically routed customers, where the only BGP announcements are
traded with our two upstreams, and I don't have experience at a provider who
has tons of BGP-enabled clients who might have to deal with this on a large
scale. So I might be missing something.

--
Steve Sobol [[email protected]]
Part-time Support Droid [[email protected]]

Spotted on a bumper sticker: "Possum. The other white meat."