Dents -- Bind alternative?

  • From: Pete Kruckenberg
  • Date: Sun Nov 29 20:47:57 1998

Just saw an announcement for Dents ( http://www.dents.org/ ) on
comp.os.linux.announce. This is supposedly a (future) replacement for
BIND, as a DNS server. It has some cool ideas (dynamic zones, open storage
interface, control interface, etc), but it looks like it's a work in
progress.

Has anyone looked at this? It seems like it could (theoretically) address
several of the DNS issues that have been discussed here and on inet-access
lately.

I'm not quite sure I understand why these features weren't just
contributed to BIND, but maybe it is time for a fresh start...

Pete.

P.S. Looks like one of the participants works for Mindspring, but there
doesn't appear to be any association between this project and Mindspring.