Re: About last smurf floods - additional info

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Wed Nov 25 09:11:32 1998

> A lot of these people have already gone back to SYN flooding from spoofed
> random IPs. Kills the CPU in your router in notime. Less bandwidth is
> wasted though, 10-20 mbit is usually enough for them to get results. They
> cannot amplify it though, always something...
But the reasons they are doing this are the same - _revenge_ -:).

You are not right, everything should be done - clearing trojans from your
servers, filtering frauded SRC addresses (most important issue),
decreasing SMURF amplifyers, lawsuits agains the hackers. It's amazing,
but we have not ANY official complain from foreign countries (foreign
companies) through I have asked such complain any time I'v write about
the broken system/network.

Btw, your .se domain was popular among the russion hackers too, just as
'.no'; I suspect a few scientific networks was sniffered there.

> What really should be fixed is not the smurf relays, but prohibit people
> from spoofing packets. Most DoS rely on your ability to send packets with
> a sender adress that doesnt belong on your local network. If this could be
> stopped we would see much less attacks and the attacks would be easier to
> trace.
Ok. Try NASA to do this -:), I could not... I am not sure they are used
for the such attacks but I have no doubts about _there is a lot of
accounts in NASA well known for the young boys.girls here who use this
accounts for the different IP games_ -:). Good luck, they did not push
down satellite yet -:).

/I do not blame them, I use them as the good example of very big company
whose resources are suspected to be abused for this purposes and who wahe
not proper contact persons to investigate this accidents/.

> -----
> Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)