About last smurf floods - additional info

  • From: Alex P. Rudnev
  • Date: Wed Nov 25 08:12:09 1998

I am not sure if it's just those SMURF attack someone write about
yesterday, but in accordance to my information:

 - there was 3 or 4 SMURF attacks againts .PSU.EDU servers.
May be, some of them was forwarded to DAL.NET because it's IRC server
and all (ALL) this attacks was done to show _I am very BIG and you are
NOTHING_ in IRC conversation, or _I have 10 shells in XXX.GOV and you
have not_ or _My shells are better than yours_.

 - the server engr-mis-01.cedcc.psu.edu was broken and abused by the
hacker. Through it's suspection only.

 - the hackers have used some accounts in NASA to provide SMURF.
Unfortunately, I can't contact anyone from NASA in a few weeks and if
someone can give me contact e-mail it'll be appresiated.

Aleksei Roudnev, Network Operations Center, Relcom, Moscow
(+7 095) 194-19-95 (Network Operations Center Hot Line),(+7 095) 239-10-10, N 13729 (pager)
(+7 095) 196-72-12 (Support), (+7 095) 194-33-28 (Fax)