Re: NSI policy on lame delagations

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Tue Nov 24 16:33:52 1998

I might also add that MHSC was using PostgreSQL for a while, until we
started doing some performance/capacity testing. We are looking at Oracle
now. The performance might be there, but the documentation as to how to
tune-in that performance, isn't. Generally, most networking RDBMS's have
trouble performing at the levels required by BIND.

At 10:38 PM 11/22/98 -0800, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> Given (for example) PostGreSQL, is there any reason why someone hasn't
>> ported the algorithms of BIND on top of something like it?  It seems to
>> me that it ought to be possible to keep a nameserver running whilst one
>> is doing maintenance on it...
>
>the line of people who have asked for this would stretch out the door and
>into the street.  bind runs from memory rather than from disk, because it
>has to be able to answer at wire speed for large values of "wire".  we're
>working on a hierarchical storage system, basically a memory cache with
>LRU, backed by a database.  we're also working on a way to load from sql
>databases into memory rather than always having to load from disk.  it's
>likely that the second of those two projects will be complete a year or
>so before the first :-).
>
>in 8.1.2++, though, the goal is to be able to check and/or reload a zone
>without having to stat() all the others.  for someone with 50K zones on
>board, this should be a huge speedup.
>--
>Paul Vixie <[email protected]>

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
 Who is John Galt?