Re: Router gets hurt!

  • From: John Fraizer
  • Date: Tue Nov 24 05:00:29 1998

Thats Bills way of saying, "You all think you're hot snot with this IP
stuff, don't you?  Well, check this out!"

It is a good idea to start with but, I don't think that microsoft ever
thought about what would happen in the event that there were tons of boxes
on the network where the "election" was held.  You can do the same thing
with a couple of *nix boxes running samba if you really want to do so.

At 10:01 PM 11/23/98 -0800, Jason Weisberger wrote:

>Discovered today that NT has the built in ability to drown your network
>and stomp on the routers cpu. Seems if someone sets up 2 NT domain masters
>or whatever that Netbios garbage is called, they attempt to "hold an
>election." The election is comprised of slamming every machine it can find
>and then every broadcast address it can think of with udp on port 137.
>
>After a few minutes of it an RSP4 gets real tired and you start losing
>packets as well as the switches all falling apart after trying to forward
>the zillion mbits/sec of useless data.
>
>Anyone else seen anything like this?
>
>--
>Jason Weisberger
>Chief Technology Officer
>SoftAware, Inc. 310/305-0275

Get your *FREE* Parked Domain account at http://www.EZ-Hosting.Com
John Fraizer                      |    __   _                 |
The System Administrator          |   / /  (_)__  __ ____  __ | The choice
mailto:[email protected] |  / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ / |  of a GNU
http://www.EnterZone.Net/         | /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\ | Generation
PGP Key fingerprint =  7DB6 1CA2 DAA6 43DA 3AAF  44CD 258C 3D7E B425 81A8