WebTV.Net: Censorship Central?

  • From: Bob Allisat
  • Date: Mon Nov 23 14:47:11 1998

 <http://fcn.net/no>

 Microsoft's Web TV Network, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers,
 uses the real-time black hole list censorship software. Very disturbing
 since it niether tells it's clients their mail and WWW is being censored
 nor offers them the choice as to whether or not to allow this censorship.
 Outside their lame anti-spam statement there is no indication of any
 censorship anywhere else <http://www.webtv.net/antispam/>.

 Perhaps the people using WebTV would appreciate knowing the fact that
 Web TV censors their access. Or, even better, maybe Web TV could offer
 them the choice as to whether their black list is off or on (default
 to off). I'd be royally pissed off if I used WebTV and found out every-
 thing I did was behind some one fellow's idea of right and wrong. Shame
 on Web TV Networks! More info at:

 <http://fcn.net/no>

Paul Vixie writes:
<http://maps.vix.com/rbl/webtv.html>
> If you received an error while trying to send mail to WebTV,
> please click here.
> Having problems sending to WebTV?
>
> Although WebTV�(webtv.net) uses the RBL, they also have their own
> list of IP addresses they reject mail from. Just because they
> reject mail from a site does not mean that site is on the
> MAPS�RBL.
>
> You can check to see whether your IP�address is on the RBL by
> checking <URL:http://maps.vix.com/cgi-bin/lookup> ; enter your
> IP�address in the form.
>
> If you do not know what your IP�address is, please contact your
> system administrator or ISP. Complaining to us about WebTV's
> actions is, unfortunately, largely useless, as we have no control
> over how they (or anyone else) runs their systems.
>
> Please contact WebTV�for information on why your address block is
> on their list, and how to get it removed.

 Bob Allisat

 Free Community Network _ [email protected] . http://fcn.net
 http://fcn.net/allisat _ http://fcn.net/draft