Re: No longer: NSI policy on lame delagations

  • From: jprovo
  • Date: Mon Nov 23 12:42:41 1998

jzp> Have you thought about moving this to a DNS/BIND related list?  Much
jzp> better than ranting loonies, but strayed far afield of the orginal
jzp> marginally-operational thread that NSI is finally enforcing a long-
jzp> standing policy.

djb>Actually, a discussion of DNS/BIND implementations falls directly under
djb>the charter, as described on the MERIT web site.
[snip]
djb>Now a specific implementation of DNS/BIND to ensure that domains do not go
djb>blank during zonefile reloads and such is DEFINITELY something that
djb>"ensures the stability of overall service to the network users".

Whatever; we disagree and Merit doesn't lord over the list -beyond Craig's
remarks at Atlanta- so others will decide if they participate or not.  The
existing tools "ensure stability"; even more primative implementations can
do it provided they are deployed with some thought.  Perhaps details
related to packing all DNS service into one box are interesting to
enough people here to warrant life staying in the thread.

djb>My point: If you want to make this a "router-discussion-only" mailing
djb>list, the charter on the website needs to be seriously overhauled, since
Nowhere did I invoke "how do i configure my router for this".  My point was
merely that internals (plugs into your-favorite-database, memory mappings,
etc) of essential services are rather interesting, but are fodder for existing
lists/newsgroups.

Joe "not arguing; I gave up being net.cop when usenet went to hell" Provo
--
Joe Provo, Network Architect                         508.229.8400 x3006
Commercial Internet Services Group                   Fax   508.229.2375