Re: ORBS: Another Vigilante Group

  • From: Adam Rothschild
  • Date: Sat Nov 21 16:48:39 1998

>  Nonsense. Democratic forums are
>  open, transparent, accountable,
>  feature regular elections, laws,
>  constitutions and so on. There
>  are no such institutions on the

I don't think anyone ever claimed the RBL is a democratic institution.
Though this should go without saying, it certainly is not.  Still, what it
does, it does well, and I truly appreciate its existence.

I think the only real freedom with regards to the RBL is the freedom
of choice:  Upstreams are not *required* to subscribe to it, and customers
are not *required* to obtain service from RBL-ized upstreams.

>  net. There are technically capable
>  but otherwise unsophisticated
>  lads running around pretending
>  they are the law. They aren't.

I think not.

>  manners. I have attacked no-one
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Very cute.  See above.

>  regularly trades in the violation
>  of these rights. With nothing more
>  to back him up but technical
>  know-how and a gang of fellow
>  geekthugs. A very unfortunate
>  situation I suspect time will
>  alter to a conclusion more in
>  line with our traditons or
>  democracy than with Vixie et
>  al's propensity to totalitarian
>  despotism.

I sure hope it does not change as such.  Then again, I don't consider
it to be an unfortunate situation.  The only unfortunate situation is
that you are a k00k who types with a 40-column terminal, fails to function
on a rational manner, and tries to protect freedoms that are not violated
in the first place.

Gee, this is getting boring and non-operational.  Where are those backhoes
and gophers when we need them? 8-)