Re: NSI policy on lame delagations

  • From: Michael Dillon
  • Date: Sat Nov 21 13:51:00 1998

On Sat, 21 Nov 1998, Mike Leber wrote:

> So you are recommending that if they take 300 new accounts in a day they
> should reload their nameservers 300 times that day?

There is a technical solutions to this problem.

Fix BIND so that you can tell it to load a new domain without reloading
everything. I'm sure I have heard of people who have customized BIND in
this way. But an alternative to doing it yourself is to send ISC some
money and request an admin interface that you can telnet to and issue
commands like:

LOAD ALL (same as kill -HUP)
LOAD example.com,example.net,weenie.com,blazingxxx.com
STOP (same as kill)

> Remember these aren't nameservers that serve 5 domains, figure tens of
> thousands.

On the other hand, maybe there is another solution. Don't put all your
eggs in one basket. Run at least two nameservers. Add all new domains to a
nameserver that has a small enough number of zones that it can easily
handle being reloaded every hour. Then every week, transfer them all to
your HUMUNGO server.

--
Michael Dillon                 -               E-mail: [email protected]
Check the website for my Internet World articles -  http://www.memra.com