Re: Digital Bill of Rights

  • From: Paul Vixie
  • Date: Fri Nov 20 17:31:56 1998

Please note the reply-to on this message and respect it.  Someone has gone
to the trouble and expense of creating a new mailing list just for the rbl
discussion; we should use it.  If you reply to other messages on this
thread within nanog, please do the same "reply-to" thing I'm doing in the
headers of this message.

> 	Noone is treading on your rights, and what Paul is doing is not
> the act of a vigilante.  Paul has not forced anyone to subscribe to his
> service.  Paul could charge for this service.  The fact that he chooses
> to provide this service for free (at significant personal expense, I might
> add) is testament to his community-mindedness.  A vigilante is someone who
> takes the law into their own hands without consent of the effected parties.

It's not so much a testament to my community-mindedness as it is a testament
to my unwillingness to manage another business.  Once MAPS, LLC (yes, we did
incorporate it recently) gets an executive director (applications welcome!)
we will start charging fees to recover the costs of that person's salary and
also the costs of full time people to track down spammers, write a web-based
database (with deeper access allowed for paying subscribers than for lurkers),
and answer the endless stream of telephone calls from people who want to get
off of the list.  And of course we need to buy some insurance.

Again, please note, respect, and emulate the reply-to of this message.
--
Paul Vixie <[email protected]>