Re: Black Hole Vixie/RBL

  • From: Derek Balling
  • Date: Thu Nov 19 16:05:09 1998

On Thu, 7 Feb 2036, Bob Allisat wrote:

>  The simple point is you or any
>  other technician has no ability
>  or right to imagine themselves
>  representing or in any way inter-
>  fering with their customers mail.
>  You are acting as if you have any
>  right to intercept any private
>  e-mail. You have no such right.
>  In manipulating the free flow
>  of electronic mail you are
>  infringing with fundamentaly
>  human rigts and freedoms.

As long as I tell my customers, "We subscribe to the RBL." and give
suitable explanations as to its workings, etc., my customers are free to
go wherever they choose, be it to me or to another ISP.

If they want, they can ALWAYS go to AOL, and have all the junkmail they
could possibly want.

Also keep in mind that although you and I may reside in the US, other
countries' ideas of "fundamental human rights and freedoms" differ
significantly from our own.

The bottom line is that my mail server is PRIVATE, my own personal
property, and if I choose to reject mail from people, so long as my
customers know getting into it what the situation is, they have the option
at any time to go to another ISP with a different policy. If all the ISP's
in a market have subscribed to the RBL, then capitalism works, because the
demand is obviously there. If there are a mix of subscribers and
non-subscribers, then in your world, the non-RBL sites will get all the
customers, and the RBL sites will lose money and either rethink their
decision or die out. (Economic Darwinism).  Personally I think the RBL
sites have plenty of consumer-level support to survive.

Derek J. Balling          | "Bill Gates is a monocle and a white
[email protected]        |  fluffy cat from being a villain in the
http://www.megacity.org/  |  next Bond film."  - Dennis Miller