RE: Lawsuit threat against RBL users

  • From: Sheryl Chapin
  • Date: Thu Nov 19 16:04:50 1998

At 09:46 AM 11/19/98 -0500, you wrote:
>That's a pretty shortsighted view, Sheryl.  I suspect you haven't been on
>the receiving end of some idtiot buying a leased line/virtual web presence
>from you and then spamming from an AOL/PSI/earhlink/yadda yadda account.  It
>isn't pleasant.  Folks aren't stupid.  They ignore the fact that the tool
>used to spam was a throwaway account and go right for the jugular (you).
>It's better to have a zero tolerance policy and not have to deal with the
>silliness in the first place.

You are correct, we have been lucky so far and this has not been an issue.
 If it becomes an issue, we may have to make changes to our AUP.

However, what I don't like is the idea that we might have to make that
change not based on what we think is acceptable use, but based on what some
self appointed group has decided it should be.  The consequences of not
going along being that we get blackholed.

Sheryl Chapin
Senior Network Engineer
CommTel Internet    207.377.3508
Winthrop, Maine     [email protected]