Re: AS_PATH length and route selection (WAS: Strange BGP announcement)

  • From: Ben Black
  • Date: Thu Nov 19 00:47:51 1998

Absolutely, there will be transient loops created in common situations
as the network converges.  However, this problem is not a flaw in BGP, per
se.  At least, not any moreso than other common protocols which suffer
from the same issue.

Without using some sort of (probably complex) global, distributed
synchronization mechanism to guarantee a consistent, loop-free topology,
I suspect transient failures from loops and blackholes during convergence
are soemthing we will just have to live with.

I believe the question regarding the use, or lack thereof, of the AS_PATH
length in tie breaking was whether persistent loops would be created.  I
still think the answer is "No".

Ben