Re: Exodus Customer Security

  • From: Phil Howard
  • Date: Wed Nov 18 19:59:19 1998

Adam Rothschild wrote:

> All I want is, when such obvious and widespread abuse is coming from their
> (Exodus's) customers, they step in and do *something* (that something
> being contacting the customer, and severing connectivity if the problems
> do not cease in a reasonable amount of time), rather than just ignoring
> this entirely.  Am I being too idealistic here?
>
> I guess this is more an issue of NSP policy/responsibility/expectations
> than of Exodus suckage...

If an NSP refuses to do anything about a problem, I'm sure you would
want to take technical steps yourself (if you haven't already).  In
many cases the steps you can do are limited and cannot full correct
the problem.  For instance, if the problem is bandwidth consuming the
line in, it may still do that even if you filter.

What my question is, is what do you consider to an appropriate level
of black-holing in the case of a customer of an NSP or ISP being the
source, but you cannot find any info about the source, and the NSP or
ISP won't cooperate.  Is it appropriate to black-hole the whole NSP
or ISP and tell your customers that the problem is at the other end
and they (the other NSP/ISP) refuse to address the issue?  What I am
wondering is, what does it take to make them pay attention.

--
  --   | Inturnet, Inc.              | Director of Internet Services |   --