Re: luser of the day award!

  • From: Roeland M.J. Meyer
  • Date: Wed Nov 18 17:38:12 1998

At 01:04 PM 11/18/98 -0500, Christopher Neill wrote:
>Anyone else get mail from this idiot?

We're a stealth DNS RBL subscriber, of course not <grin> (I luv sendmail
8.9.1).

>Alan Bechtold ([email protected]) @ 11/18/1998 12:48 - Original
Problem Detail:

>Dear sir or madam --
>=20
>It has come to my attention that your company utilizes the MAPS =
>BLACKHOLE list to block purported SPAMMERS from sending E-mail to your =
>system. While the idea might sound good I am writing to inform you that =
>you will be named in a Federal Lawsuit if you do not CEASE AND DESIST =
>use of this list IMMEDIATELY.

I wonder how he's going to find out just who is using RBL and who isn't?

>Here is why:
>=20
>My company, BBS PRESS SERVICE, INC., designs and hosts Web sites. That's =

>I understand many Web site design and hosting services stipulate in =
>their contracts that they reserve the right to pull any site if evidence =
>of SPAMMING is seen -- but my attorneys have also advised me that this =
>is completely unenforceable in court and wouldn't stand up to a court =
>challenge.
>=20
>I don't know about you but I am totally opposed to being REQUIRED to =
>take action against anyone for anything they've done outside of my =
>control. Do we also want to become liable for pulling Web sites held by =
>anyone who is convicted of a crime...any crime? Wouldn't this lead to =
>the requirement of background checks, to make sure a Web site customer =
>has never indeed beenconvicted of a crime?

This is simple, 30-day subscriptions with mutual freedom to refuse to do
business with each other at every subscription renewal opportunity. No
contract breaches required and rapid cycling of lusers^H^H^H^H^H spammers.
We've never had a spammer on our site though. We make it *real clear* that
spam may subject them to >$1500US in clean-up penalties which we *will* hit
their card with first and ask questions later. Their other choice is to
leave us a $1500US refundable $cash$ deposit. No one has yet taken the
latter choice <grin>.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected]
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
 Who is John Galt?