Re: Exodus Customer Security

  • From: Bret McDanel
  • Date: Wed Nov 18 14:56:12 1998

---Reply on mail from David Lesher about Exodus Customer Security

> Unnamed Administration sources reported that Bret McDanel said:
>
>> If you make a policy where you dont give out customer information, when do
>> you break that policy?  After 2 complaints?  5?  Whatever the number,
>> there is always someone out there who can and will abuse that, for
>> whatever reason..
>
> Don't need to. Offer to set up a three-way call.  Then {Sprint}
> and alleged victim can both talk to alleged source.

I dont know, i still think that may be somewhat intrusive to the customer
of the ISP (and adds extra load onto the ISP)..  If the 'victim' doesnt
press criminal charges against the client, or doesnt bring forth a civil
suit, then I dont see that the ISP need give up any information, nor do
they need to play operator and 3-way everyone in..

Restricting access is a different matter however..  As they are to some
degree responsible for what crosses their network (providing they have
been made aware of it)..

--
Bret McDanel                                    http://www.rehost.com
Realistic Technologies, Inc.                             973-514-1144

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer