Re: Cache-as-cache-can

  • From: Daniel Rothman
  • Date: Tue Nov 17 17:44:39 1998

Jesper Skriver wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 07:53:18AM +0900, Katsuhiro Kondou wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >       Michael Haba <[email protected]> wrote;
> >
> > } To cut a long story short, I was just wondering if people could extrapolate
> > } their feelings regarding commerical Web Cache solutions. In terms of the
> > } good, the bad and the ugly.
> > }
>
> Why use things like this, use a default route to a HSRP address ...

Because you move your single point of failure back to the cache ethernet
interface.  Not a great tragedy if you've got a decent keep-alive from your l4
switch, but you lose all caching.  Many of the applicances have dual ethers, but
none (to the best of my knowledge) have implemented a failover.  My preference is
also for a load balance between two ethers, with failover on fault detection - but
for the moment I'd be real happy with a simple failover.

Note that this does not apply to the platform-based systems (e.g. Inktomi).

daniel rothman