Re: Journal of Internet Disasters

  • From: Dave Crocker
  • Date: Tue Nov 17 12:13:24 1998

At 10:20 AM 11/15/98 -0500, Deborah Ann Smith wrote:
>But We as an industry and consumers need to start demanding - via writing
>to the congress people (They will read letters, not email- and they will
>listen if enough people contact them), complaints to the FCC and other

The Internet is global, rather than subject strictly to US controls.

Much more importantly is that the Internet has done quite well, over the
last 10 years, with LESS government involvement, not more.

That does not mean no oversight.  It merely means finding non-governmental
methods of achieving the oversight.  I suggest, for example, that a
competent and careful effort of the type Sean is suggesting would go a
long, long way towards helping things, by providing public and clear
explanations of problems.  Yes, it is possible that some ISPs would choose
to ignore the public disclosure, but let's worry about that problem after
give simple, public discourse a try.  Such an approach has a good track on
the Internet.

d/

Dave Crocker                                       Tel: +60 (19) 3299 445
<mailto:[email protected]>             Post Office Box 296, U.P.M.
                                         Serdang, Selangor 43400 MALAYSIA
Brandenburg Consulting
<http://www.brandenburg.com>                       Tel: +1 (408) 246 8253
Fax: +1(408)273 6464              675 Spruce Dr., Sunnyvale, CA 94086 USA